These wooden ladles are still used and passed around the congregation every Sunday to receive our offerings.
The 4 wooden ladles have no date or identification marks, but it is thought that they will have been made for the church opening in 1787.
Each ladle is hand crafted from wood with dove-tail joints and lined with felt. Years of use have added beauty to the wood which is now smooth and shiny to the touch.
The long handle allows the ladle to reach members as it is passed around, but one of the hazards of 'taking up' the offering is, making sure that the long handle doesn't poke someone as it is passed along!
The sliding lid is then closed before the offering is placed on the Communion Table for dedication.